[cisco-voip] 7925s across campus

Mike King me at mpking.com
Wed Oct 13 14:06:47 EDT 2010

Hey Jason.

The VLAN would be terminated on the Wireless LAN controller, so
technically the VLAN would not be across multiple buildings. (The AP's
take care of getting the traffic back to the WLAN controller)

The WLAN controller also does broadcast filtering, which would
alleviate the issue with having all those clients in a /16.

I can take a stab at the reasons they want them in the same Subnet.
A. They don't want to make more than 1 subnet for ease of ACL
B. They most likely want to use the PTT (Push to talk) button as a
walkie talkie/Nextel type service. The PTT requires multicast. They
might be mistakenly thinking that by being in the same subnet, they
won't have to enable multicast on the wireless LAN.

To throw some general advise, remember to disable ALL client load
balancing features on the WLAN controllers, as they will degrade
performance horribly. Also remember to turn Peer to Peer Blocking off,
as it will prevent phone calls to each other.

I'm in contact with several large colleges, and they routinely run /16
on they're wireless LAN. They haven't run into any specific issues
with Subnets being that large.  Personally, I think it might be a
little more sane to break it up into something smaller.

Mike