[cisco-voip] CISCO UC 8.X solution over MS OCS/Lync 2010. Why?

Matt Slaga (US) Matt.Slaga at us.didata.com
Tue Oct 19 10:23:29 EDT 2010

No server needed now for Exchange 2010 MWI.

Microsoft also partners with Polycom, Snom and several other vendors for hard physical phones, so you are not locked into just software driven audio.

Microsoft also before didn't tout QoS and CAC, in my opinion mostly because they didn't have a solution.  Now that they have CAC, they strongly suggest your solution have it.  You can also perform full QoS in your environment with Microsoft, however you are going to have to trust the endpoints to have their DSCP set correctly.  In most enterprise environments, this is really a non-issue as they can be set at an administrative level through group policies.

I'm not touting one vendor over another, they both can solve specific issues based on your specific needs.  What it sounds like what you need to do is perform a review of what your exact requirements are based on business objectives and future needs and compare that to which vendor can meet most of your objectives.  I doubt you will find any single vendor that will answer all your objectives.