[cisco-voip] Unity 4 to 8 with Mailboxes

Pat Hayes pat-cv at wcyv.com
Tue Oct 19 23:08:34 EDT 2010

It sounds like you may be confusing Unity 8 with Unity Connection. All
versions of Unity use an Exchange (or Domino) mailstore. There is no
version you can upgrade to that will change this. If you are doing an
in place upgrade from Unity 4.x to Unity 8.x, there is no need to
restore messages at all, they will remain in the mailboxes on your
Exchange server. If you are doing a hardware migration or OS upgrade
(2000->2003) as part of the Unity upgrade, you can run a DiRT backup
and restore to retain all messages and settings (COBRAS is also an
option, but there are some settings it does not backup. See the help
file for specifics).

Unity Connection, on the other hand, is a linux based solution similar
to CUCM 5.x and later.  At the moment, Unity Connection uses a custom
on-box mailstore. If you are moving from Unity to Unity Connection (it
is more of a migration than an upgrade), then you'll have to use the
COBRAS tool to migrate your users and messages. The exact process is
documented in the Unity Connection Reconfiguration and Upgrade Guide.

I hope this helps clarify things.

-Pat