[cisco-voip] USB MOH in Vmware

Kevin Damisch kevin.damisch at vitalsite.com
Tue Sep 21 00:45:30 EDT 2010

What options are available to have an external MOH source when running CUCM 8.x in VMware?  The features and services guide says:

*         The Fixed Music On Hold device cannot specify an audio source that connects through a Universal Serial Bus (USB), because Cisco Unified Communications Manager does not support USB when running on VMware. VMware does, however, support internal Music On Hold.

*         A Cisco Unified Communications Manager cluster supports a mix of Cisco Media Convergence Server (MCS) and Cisco Unified Computing System (UCS) nodes. If you want to use the Music On Hold feature with an external source (USB audio dongle), you must use an MCS server for the node(s) that supply MOH from an external source.

So, it sounds like we are out of luck unless we use a physical server to attach the USB adapter to.  Anyone know of any other adapter or LAN device that could stream it to a multicast address that we can spoof to get the phones to listen to?  Possibly something like when you have the phones use a multicast address to use for remote site flash-based MOH?  Not sure, just trying to think outside the box.

Thanks,
Kevin

This communication (including any attachments) is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify Vital Support Systems at 515 334 5700 and delete or destroy all copies and the original document.