[cisco-voip] 24 port switch question

Norton, Mike mikenorton at pwsd76.ab.ca
Wed Sep 29 23:33:56 EDT 2010

If you completely fill the MAC table of a switch, you’ll “turn it into a hub” in the sense that it would start forwarding traffic out all ports. But you still wouldn’t have collisions, because the ports would still all be full duplex.

If all ports are full duplex, there is no amount of traffic that could cause collisions. Collisions can only occur on shared media and shared media can only be half duplex. With enough traffic, you’ll start getting dropped/delayed frames - but that’s not a collision.

At least, that’s my take on it.

--
Mike Norton
I.T. Support