[cisco-voip] Better way than CTI Route Point for a voicemail only in CallManager 8x

Wes Sisk wsisk at cisco.com
Wed Apr 6 15:06:43 EDT 2011

This does not address the functional question but does give a bit of
history.

CTI Route Points were originally only for redirecting calls.  They
provided a mechanism for an entity external to CUCM to reroute calls.
To that end CTI Route Points originally did not support media
termination.  For purposes of capacity planning CTI Route points are
considered more like trunks as they should handle bulk call volume. CTI
ports are more like phones as they typically receive and provide
treatment for a single call.

Much of this history became null and void when CTI Route points started
allowing media termination in the late CM4.x time frame.

In general CTI route points should be used for instantaneous routing of
calls.  If a call "sits" on the route point then their has to be a
hunting algorithm to cover many CTI route points or possibly the CTI
application backending the CTI Route Point would have to be
multi-threaded to provide concurrent treatment.  There is a concern here
about the many:1 relationship.  When multiple calling parties attempt to
access the same single resource you get into Erlang calculations.

Hope this helps.
Wes