[cisco-voip] SIP Load and Re-Invite

Ryan Ratliff rratliff at cisco.com
Fri Apr 15 14:49:04 EDT 2011

Not sure what a CMG tone is but any codec change from CUCM is going to require a signaling request.  Prior to 8.5 CUCM required a SIP call to set the media inactive via SDP before changing codec mid-call.  This requirement has been removed with 8.5.

> For this release, Cisco Unified Communications Manager also enhances interoperability with third party devices during mid-call operations including basic hold/resume operations and during supplementary services, such as transfer and conference. In previous releases, Cisco Unified Communications Manager sent an INVITE with an inactive SDP (a=inactive attribute) to indicate a break in media path, sent a Delayed Offer INVITE to insert music on hold or resume the media stream, and expected a send-recv offer SDP in the 200 OK. Because third party devices often provide an inactive offer SDP in the 200 OK instead of providing a send-recv offer SDP, the media path would remain in an inactive state and cause calls to drop. In this release, Cisco Unified Communications Manager allows you to configure a parameter for an early offer SIP trunk so that Cisco Unified Communications Manager suppresses the sending of inactive or sendonly SDP in mid-call INVITEs. When this parameter gets enabled, Cisco Unified Communications Manager connects the SIP Trunk device directly to the MOH or annunciator device without breaking the existing media stream during call hold or other feature invocation. Similarly, Cisco Unified Communications Manager connects the SIP Trunk device to a line side device directly during call resume without breaking the MOH or annunciator stream. By preventing the far end media stream from getting set to inactive, Cisco Unified Communications Manager should always be able to resume the media path.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/rel_notes/8_5_1/delta/delta.html#wp1849900

For detecting tones and taking action you are going to have a DSP in the RTP stream that can intercept the tones and signal upstream the required action.   I'm not sure what the point is in a 79XX phone responding to something like a fax tone since it couldn't do anything with said fax data anyway.

Long story short, yes CUCM is completely capable of changing codecs mid-call, as long as you signal the codec change in a way we can actually act on.

-Ryan