[cisco-voip] SIP Load and Re-Invite

Ryan Ratliff rratliff at cisco.com
Fri Apr 15 15:06:44 EDT 2011

If an endpoint could do something about the fax tone then it should be expected to.  That means if you call a 7960 don't expect it to do anything with fax tones.  If you call to a fax machine on the other hand then something needs to be able to detect those tones and switch the call to fax.  I'm not a fax guy but I'm pretty sure in VOIP letting it go in the RTP and relying on the endpoint to do it is about the worst possible way of sending faxes.  With a SIP trunk use something like T.38 where you can send it as a cap in the SDP and use signaling to switch the call over.

My comment about "in a way we can act on it" means that CUCM does not participate in the RTP stream so sending tones in-band isn't going to do anything unless an endpoint somewhere along the line can intercept them and take some required action.  That action doesn't even have to include telling CUCM (see protocol-based T.38 vs CA-controlled)  This could be a voice gateway with your fax machines attached to FXS ports, an ATA, or some other device.

What it comes down to is what capabilities does the PSTN provider have and do the devices in your network share those capabilities.   I'm sure Nick or somebody with more fax expertise than I have can jump in too.

-Ryan