[cisco-voip] Odd hunting issue

Robert Singleton rsingleton at morsco.com
Tue Aug 9 12:56:29 EDT 2011

Here's an odd one...

First, a disclaimer. I am running CCM 4.1(3)sr8, which is well past EOL
and may be past EOS. I have new CUCM 7.1.5 boxes and a new Unity box
that will be installed in the next couple of weeks.

At many of my branch offices, I use a broadcast hunt group to ring
inbound calls on all telephones.

The phones are configured as follows: On each telephone, there are two
DNs, the first is the user's DN, the second is a dedicated DN for
incoming calls. The incoming DNs are sequential numbers, 2083001 through
2083007. These DNs are members of a line group. The line group is the
only member of a hunt group with broadcast hunting. Hunt pilot 2083000
is associated with the hunt group. Partition 83 is used wherever a
partition is required.

Under normal circumstances, anyone with partition 83 in their
CallingSearchSpace can dial 2083000 and all 7 of the telephones will
ring on their Incoming line. Likewise, a translation pattern for their
DID will ring the incoming line on all telephones.

This scenario is in place and working in many locations and worked fine
at this location for several weeks until mid-morning today. At that
time, incoming calls suddenly began failing with one short ring and
disconnection. To the caller, it sounds like someone picked up and
immediately hung up the phone.

I checked CDR and noted the device that always "answered" these calls.
If I remove *that* DN (2083005) from the broadcast huntgroup, calls
return to normal operation on all phones.

Now the weird part. If I put 2083005 back in the hunt group, everything
is fine again.

We had this problem at the same location a few weeks ago and the same
scenario played out except that time it was 2083003.

The only thing I have found that sets these two apart from the rest of
the telephones is that their MAC addresses in Phone Configuration had
lower case alpha characters. Surely, that can make no difference....

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Robert