[cisco-voip] Thoughts on Major UCM/UCCX upgrade

Frank Arrasmith frank.arrasmith at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 16:22:25 EDT 2011

Hi All,
   My company is considering doing a major upgrade from our existing UCCX
7.0.2 and UCM 7.1.5 to ucm/uccx 8.6.  They are also considering
discontinuing the support contract from our value added reseller, which
would mean that the upgrade would be performed solely by our engineering
staff.  We've done a few minor upgrades on each platform without issue, but
after reviewing the upgrade compatibility guide for UCCX, it seems this
particular one will be very difficult.  My assumption is based on the fact
that we can't upgrade one platform or the other first, and verify stability
for a time period before continuing on with upgrading the second platform,
since neither one supports the other's previous version.

To clarify> CUCM 8 does not support UCCX 7
                CUCM 7 does not support UCCX 8

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cust_contact/contact_center/crs/express_compatibility/matrix/crscomtx.pdf

My questions are:

1.  Has anybody tackled this yet?

2. where there any problems, major or minor?

3.  what was the general path you took for upgrade? Did you do everything at
once, or build a separate system on another piece of hardware(we are
considering this as well)

4 Any other thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any input you might have on the matter

-Frank