[cisco-voip] Automated testing of numbers/systems - what do you use?

Lelio Fulgenzi lelio at uoguelph.ca
Tue Dec 6 11:40:50 EST 2011

There was a thread about Testing Complex Dial Plans a while back, which got me thinking. Well, I only recently saw a product that might help and thought I'd see if people think this would work.

http://www.vikingelectronics.com/products/view_product.php?pid=193

This product is made specifically for their emergency phones which responds to an initial * DTMF and then responds with DTMF codes. After calling them, they said they can engineer the device without the initial * so that it just waits for DTMF codes which it uses to gauge the success of a test call.

I'm thinking, since most of the time, it's a system issue, not a port issue, I can set up ports on each of our systems that respond with particular DTMF codes as part of a .wav file. For example, if we want to check voice mail, I can create a call handler that responds with specific DTFMs. I can also create a voice mail box that has these DTMFs as well.

Anyone else know of something similar that can do this? I know there are big software companies out there that have this solution, but I'd rather not spend 25 K on testing. This solution would cost us under 1K.

---
Lelio Fulgenzi, B.A.
(519) 824-4120 x56354 (519) 767-1060 FAX (ANNU)
Cooking with unix is easy. You just sed it and forget it.
- LFJ (with apologies to Mr. Popeil)