[cisco-voip] CUCM trunk connection

Carlos G Mendioroz tron at huapi.ba.ar
Sun Dec 11 07:01:20 EST 2011

Radioactive Frog @ 11/12/2011 02:17 -0300 dixit:
> On Sat, Dec 10, 2011 at 11:33 PM, Carlos G Mendioroz <tron at huapi.ba.ar>wrote:
>
>> Hey Frog,
>>
>> SIP trunks can be used as ICTs, so I don't see why you say "if you don't
>> want funky features". Is there any feature not supported by SIP trunks ?

> installed another cucm cluster that also has 100 features. now you want to
> interconnect them.
> a) using SIP - only 30 features will work. inter-cluster EM doesn't work
> for example.

Hmm, EMCC (Extension Mobility Cross Cluster) NEEDS a SIP trunk. It does
not work with an H323 trunk AFAIK.
Also, gatekeepers, one of the strong points in the H.323 presence in the
cisco UC design, are being phased out in favour of CUCM-SME.

> b) Using ICT - may be 90+ feature working.
>
> for general call transfer between cluster - "ANY" trunking method is OK.
> Just like ISL vs Dot1q or EIGRP vs OSPF. all protocol routes a subnet. some
> work better than others. properietry vs open and the list goes on.

Have you seen ISL out there lately ? :)

>> Also, cisco is moving from H.323 to SIP (slowly but steadily) IMHO.
>>
>>> that is the ultimate roadmap, however, I am not seeing that to happen
> for the next 5 years at least.
>

>> Would you please share some support info for "H323 is the preferred
>> method" ?

> extnsive.

Well, it's always the case that new "replacing" technologies are not
proven. I was not aware of CPS rate differences though. Any numbers to
share ? I've been unable to find any metrics published...

-Carlos

>> -Carlos
>>
>> Radioactive Frog @ 10/12/2011 07:45 -0300 dixit:
>>
>>  In a nutshell,
>>> 1. ICT trunk = need to keep features on like Extension mobility between
>>> clusters (this is one of 100's feature)
>>> 2. SIP trunk = if you just need a call between cluster users but don't