[cisco-voip] ACME Packet

Roger Wiklund roger.wiklund at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 16:25:58 EST 2011

Here are my 2 cents, I've setup a couple of clusters with Acme 3820s
with Callmanager 7x and 8x

Good - Really good failover between HA pairs, powerful sip
manipulations, excellent TAC support, surprisingly good documentation
and SIP trunking soultions with carriers and IPPBX models.
Bad - Complex configuration style, expensive, complex sip
manipulations, no transcoding on 3800/4500 (last time I checked)

I think even if you are equally skilled and experience with Acme SBCs
and CUBEs, it still takes alot longer to setup the Acmes.
For example, the way you enter commands and the show running config
output is different, so you cannot copy paste from another Acme. (Some
stuff works)

Also small things like you cannot clear/rotate certain logfiles you
use, like sipmsg.log, you have to ftp to the box and remove it.
No pipe/include/grep to search in running config, no ctrl+z when you
are deep in config tree, you have to exit exit exit exit which feels a
bit unprofessional/unfinished

But as its a smaller company (compared to Cisco) you get really good
support, partners get access to documentations, sw downloads, TAC
cases etc.

/Roger