[cisco-voip] How does voice recorder works? Do I need RSPAN or ERSPAN?

Ki Wi kiwi.voice at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 01:56:27 EST 2011

Hi Dennis/James,
Thanks for the quick reply.

The product that the customer have actually works for port mirror
scenarios. I'm aware that those products are actually looking for SCCP
messages during their capture. However, I'm wondering is the SCCP messages
from the phone port (will see both tx/rx packets to the phone) sufficient ?
Or do I need to span extra signalling messages from CUCM and as well as
those extra rtp stream from voice gateway?

Currently, my best practise is i will span all the rx traffic into the
voice vlan (ingress traffic into switchport) and rspan it to the recorder.
However, now i'm hoping that I can simply sniff both tx/rx packets on the
few IP phones that requires recording.

*imaging the site have 2000 phones and i only need to record 5 ip phones
conversation in the network, the software vendor is worried about the cpu
utilization as well if we were to enable span traffic everywhere*