[cisco-voip] ACS 2008 R2

Jason Aarons (US) jason.aarons at us.didata.com
Tue Feb 8 09:54:28 EST 2011

This is a good example of why you should lab test the AD upgrade prior to production.

ACS 5.1 can't talk to 2008 Domain controller in 2003 functional level.  ACS runs Centrify and ACS 5.2 fixed it. I think ACS 4.2.1 has similar issue but not positive.

From TAC case after upgrade, "I believe you are running into a problem when a 2008 DC is running at 2003 functional level. Basically we send a ticket request to the KDC and it responds with the encryption versions it supports including AES.  Since AES is the strongest encryption we choose that and send an ticket request using AES to the KDC.  The KDC then responds saying it does not support AES since 2003 does not support AES encryption.
If this is the case then raising the domain functional level to 2008 native should resolve the issue assuming that this will not break anything else in your environment. "

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserversecurity/thread/da205761-4eb3-4896-a71f-7cc8512d5420

http://www.windowsitpro.com/article/kerberos/Q-Can-the-default-encryption-types-the-Kerberos-authentication-protocol-uses-in-Windows-7-and-Windows-Server-2008-R2-cause-compatibility-problems-Is-there-a-workaround-.aspx

Yes customer was warned in advance that 2008R2 isn't supported until ACS 5.2 was released, for whatever reason they upgraded regardless breaking VPN authentications.