[cisco-voip] RES: Hunt groups

Eric Butcher Eric.Butcher at cdw.com
Wed Feb 16 09:05:39 EST 2011

You can use axl API to do this.  You need to have SQL experience and programming experience though.

Here are the steps:

Write an application that keeps track of the schedule, and the list of phones that need their HLOG status changed at the intervals necessary.

At the given "log in" or "log out" time for a group of phones, Axl post to CUCM using the api "dosqlupdate" to update the database.  The update should go something like "UPDATE devicehlogdynamic set hlog=['t'|'f'] WHERE fkdevice=(SELECT pkid FROM device WHERE device.name in ('<device1>','<device2>','<etc>')"

['t'|'f'] = t represents true, or logged in, f represents f or logged out.

This will log all of the devices in or out based on 't' or 'f'.

Now, if you change HLOG status through any method other than pressing the button on the phone, you have to do a RESTART of the phone OR a RESET.  Restart is quicker, so you would then post to AXL using the api "doDeviceReset".  One set of this per device name:

<doDeviceReset><deviceName>SEP1234567890ab</deviceName><isHardReset>false</isHardReset></doDeviceReset>

Once you do that second step, the phones should refresh their screen with the current status of "HLOG".  This app would have to be running on a machine at all times and have a user account it uses to post to AXL that has axl api access.

This is how you would do that, and it isn't easy.  I strongly suggest that you ask for outside assistance if you aren't confident you can tackle this in-house.  SQL updates can be dangerous if you're not experienced with them.  Also, you should gauge if that level of work is worth the return.  Personally I think what you're trying to do is a neat approach, and it builds upon things I have personally done in the past to give "Contact center-like" functionality to a call flow using just a hunt group.

You could also probably use CTI to actually PUSH the buttons via an application, but I haven't taken that approach before.

Good luck!

Eric Butcher
Cisco Unified Communications Engineer
CDW Professional Services