[cisco-voip] Testing a POTS line

Mike King me at mpking.com
Thu Feb 17 16:47:42 EST 2011

I have a POTS line at a remote site that has been possibly misidentified.

I don't have access to the site, so I can't just go there and put a buttset
on the line and dial a NAC..

I was looking for a way to call another phone from the router and tripped
across the csim start command.
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk653/technologies_tech_note09186a00803736c1.shtml#trouble_steps

I added a dialpeer

dial-peer voice 6 pots
 preference 1
 destination-pattern 15083502000
 port 0/1/0
 forward-digits all

then I used the csim start command:

#csim start 15083502000
csim: called number = 15083502000, loop count = 1 ping count = 0

csim err:csim_do_test invalid major major(16) minor(0)
csim: loop = 1, failed = 0
csim: call attempted = 1, setup failed = 0, tone failed = 0

So my phone didn't ring, so I didn't get the caller ID.

Is there a way to do this?

Mike