[cisco-voip] T.38 Fax Issue

Nick Matthews matthnick at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 14:53:42 EST 2011

Sometimes faxing works without any configuration, which can be misleading.
The difference between passthrough and straight g.711 is a longer jitter
buffer, disabling dtmf, and disabling the echo canceller.

That is odd that a zte device would send proprietary cisco nse packets.
Maybe that is what changed, the gateway?

I don't think they are using pt 96 for dtmf because the event numbers
generally match the dtmf digit pressed.

Instead of seeing nse packets you should be seeing a sip reinvite with a
t.38 sdp since it should ve a protocol based negotiation.
On Jan 17, 2011 12:22 PM, "Antonio Soares" <amsoares at netcabo.pt> wrote:
> It’ s a SIP trunk between a Cisco GW (the one I have control) and a ZTE
> device… It was working with the config I have shown. Something was changed
> on the other side. I was trying to make it work using the options
available
> at our side. Unfortunately I don’t have the debugs captured when this was
> configured so I still have a doubt. What PT should be used in this T.38
> negotiation ? PT=100 or PT=101 ?
>

> PT=100: Designates an NSE (Named Signaling Event packet). NSE packets can
> signal a variety of different messages so it is helpful to know the NSE
> Event ID.
>

> PT=101: Designates an NTE (Named Telephony Event) as defined in RFC 2833.
>

> Check this table:
>

> https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-1387
>

> I was convinced that it was PT=100 (NSE) but as you said, they are Cisco
> proprietary. So maybe it should be PT=101 (NTE) ?
>

> Thanks.
>

> Regards,
>

> Antonio Soares, CCIE #18473 (R&S/SP)
> <mailto:amsoares at netcabo.pt> amsoares at netcabo.pt