[cisco-voip] SDLLinkOutOfService

Wes Sisk wsisk at cisco.com
Tue Jan 25 18:14:08 EST 2011

Each ccm process is a concurrent real time process. They exchange
messages as needed over SDL links.  In addition to that realtime
communication there are keepalives every 10 seconds.  The real time
synchronization makes these links the most sensitive TCP sessions in the
network.

At the same time it is necessary to detect dead links as quickly as
possible.  A call may be held up on node1 pending a response from
node2.  A bandwidth reservation request on node1 must synchronize with
all nodes as quickly as possible to avoid potential over subscription.

To that end a network outage as low as ~ 2 seconds can cause SDL link
out of service.  The value can be even lower depending on RTT in your
network. See:
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc793.html

These parameters are not configurable on CUCM.

At what interval is your network service monitoring network
connectivity?  They need to get down to the order of single seconds for
monitoring to correctly detect outages that will affect CUCM.

Regards,
Wes