[cisco-voip] Echo on international calls

Nick Matthews matthnick at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 00:14:18 EST 2011

A few things:
-128 ms is the longest delay our DSPs will handle echo.  If for some reason
these calls are doing a tail end hop off and there's more than 128ms delay
between the IP phone and gateway, this will do it.
-There's an unsolved bug out there - it's rare but nasty.  If you do a 'show
call active voice echo' you'll see one of the channels going all over the
place 12ms-128ms.  The only solution is to reset the gateway or DSP.  What
can be tricky is if the channel that gets caught is 'higher up' and only
gets used when there's a lot of calls going on.  Then it gets confused with
load, QoS, etc.
-You may want to try downgrading phone firmware.  It's been known to cause
echo from time to time.
-Get the details.  QRT may help.  Get rid of headsets if possible to
eliminate causes.
-I generally don't play with the echo cancel coverage on the gateways.  It
will go between 12ms and 128ms dynamically, and this is usually going to be
your best bet unless you really know what the problem is.
-TAC case?

-nick