[cisco-voip] CUCM 7.1.5(3) to 8.5 Upgrade

Jason Gurtz jasongurtz at npumail.com
Fri Jul 22 11:10:38 EDT 2011

> Is anyone facing problems with taking backups?

Yes, we're on 8.5.1 and the sftp functionality seems to have very limited
compatibility with various free solutions out there on windows. From what
I've been able to gather via Google (and the archives of this very list)
the best solution on Windows is to use something based off the original
OpenSSH code e.g. it runs via Cygwin. The various Linux and BSDs have
native ports which is probably the best route IMO.

I had high hopes for the Kpym ssh server, but transfers just hang in the
middle half the time. It doesn't help that DRF Local/Master services have
to be manually restarted occasionally if I go in to do manual backups. I
queried on the Kpym forum about how to debug this (the ssh/sftp server
reports no errors), but did not receive a response. Core FTP server also
does not work reliably. Restarting either of these services, in the hopes
that the issue is a simple resource leak, does not help.

The opinion I got from our cisco var was basically don't bother trying to
get this situation improved and just use FreeFTPd, Cygwin ssh/sftp, or
setup a linux box. I agree; it's unlikely that Cisco will care (but maybe
a larger customer than us can get something done?).

Crucial to us is AD integration for user accounts and that seems harder
than it should be right now. How can I justify spending over a grand for
the single commercial sftp server software listed on cisco.com just to
backup one thing when we already have an existing backup infrastructure?
Ideally, backups could be stored locally and pulled from the CUCM server
(sftp client support is good everywhere). Unfortunately, "utils
disaster_recovery device add local" says this isn't supported on our
platform.

Sorry, maybe someone else has better news?

~JasonG