[cisco-voip] IP Phone TFTP Server Change Problem

Lelio Fulgenzi lelio at uoguelph.ca
Tue Jul 26 09:17:27 EDT 2011

When we did our migration, we had the following scenario:

    • same DHCP server
    • same voice VLANs
    • different TFTP server
    • different cluster (on new network)

We took advantage of the fact that when phones can't communicate to the CallManagers, they get into a tizzy and end up restarting. This restart forces them to send out a new DHCP request. I'm pretty sure if they can't reach the DHCP server after a bit, they send out a new broadcast request (not 100% sure on this one, you'll have to test).

So before the migration, we modified the TFTP option on our DHCP server and then put in an ACL which prevented access to the old CallManagers. Other than a few phones at a remote site, all went well.

I'm pretty sure this is also how we changed over DHCP servers earlier in the year, but I could be wrong.

It's worth trying out.

---
Lelio Fulgenzi, B.A.
(519) 824-4120 x56354 (519) 767-1060 FAX (JNHN)
Cooking with unix is easy. You just sed it and forget it.
- LFJ (with apologies to Mr. Popeil)