[cisco-voip] customer-provided MCS-equivalent IBM servers, currently available in Europe?

Nick Matthews matthnick at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 21:40:03 EDT 2011

I'm not sure if I fully understand the numbers behind this.  This is
kind of a pricing specific look, not very techy.

If you're going to deploy less than 1000 users, a C200 is the obvious
choice.  These are about the price of a single 7825, so it would be
perfect for your situation.

If you're looking at more than 1000, you're looking at MCS or C-series.

If we assume 7835 it's something like 18k, 7845, 24k.  A C-series is
26k+3k Vmware licensing= 29k.  Many of the companies I've encountered
have an ELA so they are already paying for the 3k, and it's 26k.

If you're on 7835's, it would look like: 3x 18k = 56k.  The services
on these are about 3x the price of a single UCS blade, so you're
probably looking at least another 5k a year on services.  3 years,
71k.

If you're on 7845's, the math is more obvious.  3x 24k = 72k.
Probably looking at 7k a year in services, so 91k over 3 years.

7825's, it would be something like 3x 12k = 36k.  Services maybe 3k a
year, total of 45k.

C210 would be 2 times 29k, 58k.  Service will be more like 2k a year,
so total 64k.

7825's are normally used in the 1000-2000 user range.  From the math
I've looked at, that's really the only time it makes financial sense
to go physical.  Plus, this is also assuming a non-redundant voicemail
and no contact center or presence plans, as any of those 3 would push
it towards virtualized.

Other notes: On the C200/C210/B200 you would be able to have redundant
voicemail for no additional hardware cost.  You could also use the
spare processing power to run a lab, which many cannot justify
otherwise.  I think it would be logical to assume that in a few years
Cisco will get away from the physical architecture and future
platforms would be virtualized only.  In that case, it will cost more
to move to virtualized in both experience and hardware costs at some
point.  As well, for these calculations I took pretty rough
estimations and also assumed 4 hour support with US prices.  I don't
know what they would look like in Europe.

Hope this helps a bit, even if it doesn't answer your direct question.

-nick