[cisco-voip] Unity Connection - Inter/Intra-Site Networking

Pat Hayes pat-cv at wcyv.com
Wed Mar 23 09:37:13 EDT 2011

This chapter of the design guide goes into some good details about
what each is used for:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/8x/design/guide/8xcucdg030.html

Basically, intrasite networking is most common and can be used to
connect up to 10 servers/clusters together. Within an intrasite
network, there will be full mesh connectivity with every node talking
to every other node in that network. Intersite networking is used to
connect two intrasite networks together, either two groups of UC
servers or a group of UC servers with a group of Unity servers. You
specify the node in each site that forms the link and all intersite
communication is strictly between those two nodes (particularly
helpful if your servers are actually at two different sites and you
need to limit communications). I suppose with only two clusters you
could technically use either, but at the moment you are limited to a
single intersite link per site, so if you ever added a third node it
would have to be in an intrasite network with one of the two.