[cisco-voip] Unity Connection - Mailbox Stores

STEVEN CASPER SCASPER at mtb.com
Wed Mar 23 13:35:38 EDT 2011

 I have two Unity Connection clusters with mail stores around  6 gig and 8 gig. I have tried a lot of SFTP server solutions and so far the most consistent performing solution I have used is Globalscape EFT Server.

http://www.globalscape.com/gsftps/

 It is not free but they are a member of the Cisco Technology Developer Program and have provided good support to us.  I can attest to the need for a good current DRS backup. In January we ended up with database corruption on both the Pub and the Sub on one of our clusters and had to restore from a DRS backup. Very painful but at least we were able to restore service to 5000 users. Nothing drives home the need for backups like actually needing one!

Steve

>>> Pat Hayes <pat-cv at wcyv.com> 3/23/2011 9:41 AM >>>
To the original question of whether or not you can specify over the
DRS recommended 15 gigs, yes, you can, but why would you want to? DRS
being the only supported method of periodic backups, you are
potentially putting your system at risk by going outside of that.

For problems backing up the mailbox store, I think there are two main
ones - first, the SFTP server you use needs to support file uploads
that large. Check the archives for details on some known problem
servers. You can verify easily enough by trying to manually upload a
large file to your server, if it is going to fail it usually fails
around 1 or 2 gigs. Second, defect CSCtf40892 can cause your backup to
stall out and fail, usually around the 3 gig mark. Check the bug for
full details, but essentially everything 7.x prior to 7.1(5b)su3 and
8.x prior to 8.5(1) is impacted. If you can get past those two issues,
it should be smooth sailing :-)

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 7:49 PM, Bill Simon <bills at psu.edu> wrote:
> All,
>
> We have a 10k user base and about 10GB mail store. Backups (DRS) seldom
> worked on CUC 7.1. Just last weekend upgraded to 8.5 and backups are working
> fine for this whole mail store. SFTP backups to a Linux server/OpenSSH.
>
> Backups and increased scalability were the reasons we moved to 8.5. If
> you've got a large system, consider moving to this version.
>

> On 3/22/11 7:19 PM, Erick B. wrote:
>>
>> Hmm... yea, on the 8.02 I have it always fails at just over a gig on
>> both mailstores>  1 gig. The one mailstore we don't backup the
>> messages in anymore however, just a lot of mailboxes for various
>> sites.
>>
>> I've worked with TAC on this in past, and they didn't suggest using
>> more mailstores to help with the backup issue. We had tried a dozen or
>> so different SFTP servers and all failed at a gig most of time, so we
>> ruled out SFTP server as problem. Any mailstore less then a gig backs
>> up fine.
>>
>> I'll make some more mailstores to see what the limit is.
>>
>> Also, can't move the system mailboxes off the default mailstore.
>>

>> On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 5:49 PM, Jobe Gates<jobe at gates-tribe.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Mine was up to 6GB's so yes it should go over 1. I thought 5 was the
>>> limit on 7.x. Not sure about 8.
>>>

>>> Thanks,
>>> Jobe

This email may contain privileged and/or confidential information that is intended solely for the use of the addressee.  If you are not the intended recipient or entity, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of the information contained in the transmission.  If you received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy.  This communication may contain nonpublic personal information about consumers subject to the restrictions of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act and the Sarbanes-Oxley Act.  You may not directly or indirectly reuse or disclose such information for any purpose other than to provide the services for which you are receiving the information.
There are risks associated with the use of electronic transmission.  The sender of this information does not control the method of transmittal or service providers and assumes no duty or obligation for the security, receipt, or third party interception of this transmission.