[cisco-voip] Phone/CM Locale Questions

Wes Sisk wsisk at cisco.com
Thu Mar 31 11:30:32 EDT 2011

Inline, ws.

On 3/30/2011 2:16 PM, James.Brown at barclayswealth.com wrote:
> All,
>
> Is anyone else finding the documentation around locales slightly hit and miss?
ws: Yes.  Please voice this to your Cisco account team.  There is acute
attention and action in the documentation arena at the moment.  Ears are
open for customers who speak up.
> So far, I have...
>
> * Phone Only locales control the endpoint LCD language
> * CM Locales provide cadence and CCMUser language
> * CM Locales require an update with each CUCM major version
> * PO Locales require an update with the endpoint firmware
>
> Could anyone clarify whether a PO update really has to be applied when SCCP firmware is upgraded?
ws:

*Q: Do I need to install a new Phone Only locale every time after I
upgrade my IP phone firmware?*

Localization team only releases Phone Only Locales for FW with changes
on phone dictionaries or internationalization. In another words, we do
not have POLI release for every FW release. When customer upgrades the
firmware without upgrade their CUCM, they should install the Phone Only
locale with the same major.minor number with the new  FW.  For example,
if they upgrade the from FW 8.5.3 (with POLI 8.5.3) to FW 8.5.4, POLI
8.5.3 is also good for FW 8.5.4. If they upgrade FW from 8.5.4 to 9.0.1,
they will need to install POLI 9.0.1.
> And would this update need to be applied to all nodes, or just the TFTP servers?
ws:

*Q: Do locales need to be installed on every Node?*

Cisco Unified Communications Locale Installer MUST be applied to each
and every Cisco Unified Communications Manager server in a cluster,
starting with the publisher. After installation has completed, it is
essential to reboot each and every platform in order for all user and
network locale changes to become fully activated.

*Q: How to use Phone Only Locales?*

Cisco Unified Communications Locale Installer for Cisco Unified IP
Phones ensures localised phones are kept up-to-date with the latest
dictionaries after the firmware is upgraded. The full Cisco Unified
Communications Locale Installer for Cisco Unified Communications Manager
must be installed prior to installation of a Phone Only locale
installer. For example, with CUCM 5.1 and Firmware 8.4.3, CUCM LI 5.1.x
need to be installed first, then install Phone Only LI 8.4.3 for
firmware updates.