[cisco-voip] Questions regarding migration of CUCM 7.1.5.31900-3 to a UCS platform

Haas, Neal nhaas at co.fresno.ca.us
Thu Mar 31 15:56:45 EDT 2011

We just updated our 7.1(5) environment to 8.? Then 3 weeks later we upgraded to 8.5.

Our first stage to 8. Run DRS when you leave from work or before you go into to the upgrades.

Our MCS servers needed bios/Raid updates and that took a while and it was unnerving because we knew NOTHING about those. Not in the docs, so that I think took us an additional hour per server. Rebooting several times and no timers to let us know what was going on really.

You can actually install the upgrade onto the servers, at the same time just don't reboot automatically.

If I remember right our 5 servers were about 7 hours, it was a learning curve really - a few mistakes on our side - such as running DRS when we got there in the morning.

If you can install the new image for the phones on to your existing TFTP before you do the upgrade - upgrading the image on the phones before the call manager upgrade saves you the hassle of waiting for the phones to upgrade when you do the new version.  That's up to you to save you some time while upgrading.

When going to 8.5 - please NOTE there are BAD DVDS's out there and cisco knows it! Seriously down load the ISO which is now available and burn your own copies.  If you have a bad DVD you will go 99% thru the upgrade process and fail! We had this.

If you get alerts and stuff from RTMT, you will get tons of warnings such as version mismatch when you upgrade to 8.5, you might want to turn off some of the monitors while upgrading to 8.5. Also you will get a new phone image for the phones again.

For us there were a few unknowns but really no problems, Unity Conn was upgraded to 8.5 after we went to 8.

We only had a couple of dozen phones that did not reregister so we power cycled them and they came back alive with no issues.

Hope my ramblings help you

Neal Haas