[cisco-voip] lync moc desktop p2p & p2m video calls , conferencing

Tony Edwards tonyedwards.rs at gmail.com
Tue May 10 06:16:30 EDT 2011

hi guys,

can some one please guide me on the below queries?

i am planning to run a pilot with a lync2010 server with 10 odd lync moc
clients on 10 user windows7 computers with an aim to
turn on a desktop video p2p and p2m ( conference) streams both with in lan
environment as well as between 2 x wan site , separated by a 512k frame
relay pipe.

in isolation i do have a ccm running with 10 sites with 100 sccp end points
and lync platform will be totally separate to begin with while i trial
desktop to desktop video.

so that being the aim , i am not sure on how to address following 4 aspects.

1. can my 10 pilot lync moc clients do p2p or p2m desktop video sessions
with rt audio and rt video codecs with out going via ccm cluster or with out
the help of ccm at all.

2. just like ccm's sccp end points which will have a dn # , should my lync
moc clients too need to have dn # or lync moc can audio & video call each
other via their sip addresses or user names ?

3.from qos perspective , what tcp & udp ports should i have to mark and
classify for rt audio or rt video signalling and payloads ? from my very
limited understanding on lync so far , moc clients when they talk to lync
server via sip , they do open up peer to peer sort of 1024 to 65534 sort of
huge port range. which i gather , can we locked in to smaller range via
in-band signalling. so as you can see here , i am totally confused on best
possible qos templates to protect and give some sort of priority (perhaps IP
Prec 2 or AF21)  lync desktop video p2p and p2p sessions.
4. i do gather that , lync do offer cac , similar to ccm. if that is the
case , how much bw shall i have to configure for 2 x desktop video sessions
?

5. lastly , i was just checking nbar class maps on my is router and i
spotted match protocol rtp audio and rtp video and rtp payload , but nbar
match options does not offer rt audio or rt video to cover microsoft lync
protocol matching. so , i am just wondering , are they both same or not. if
they are not same , then perhaps , the bets i could do it is match tcp and
udp port ranges of rt audio and rt video traffic streams.

thank you a lot.

tony