[cisco-voip] suggested/best practices for DHCP settings on routers

Lelio Fulgenzi lelio at uoguelph.ca
Tue May 10 12:01:22 EDT 2011

I also noticed that for IOS v15T, it has the following pre-requisites. However, I can't find a "service dhcp" statement in my config, but I know it's offering up DHCP addresses. Also, I can't issue the "show ip sockets details" command or the "show sockets detail" command.

weird!

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios-xml/ios/ipaddr_dhcp/configuration/15-1mt/Configuring_the_Cisco_IOS_DHCP_Server.html#GUID-9F0ED96D-17EA-4307-A14C-0C23A335B5D4

Before you configure the Cisco IOS DHCP server, you should understand the concepts documented in the DHCP Overview module.

The Cisco IOS DHCP server and relay agent are enabled by default. You can verify if they have been disabled by checking your configuration file. If they have been disabled, the no service dhcp command will appear in the configuration file. Use the service dhcp command to reenable the functionality if necessary.

Port 67 (the server port) is closed in the Cisco IOS DHCP/BOOTP default configuration. There are two logical parts to the service dhcp command: service enabled and service running. The DHCP service is enabled by default, but port 67 is not opened until the DHCP service is running. If the service is running, the show ip sockets details or show sockets detail command displays port 67 as open.

The Cisco IOS DHCP relay agent will be enabled on an interface only when the ip helper-address is configured. This command enables the DHCP broadcast to be forwarded to the configured DHCP server.

---
Lelio Fulgenzi, B.A.
(519) 824-4120 x56354 (519) 767-1060 FAX (JNHN)
Cooking with unix is easy. You just sed it and forget it.
- LFJ (with apologies to Mr. Popeil)