[cisco-voip] Subscriber and DHCP Servers for Expansion of CUCM Cluster

Daniel Martin daniel.martin at cae.com
Wed May 11 11:49:50 EDT 2011

Hi,

I would like to get the community's feedback on Subscribers and DHCP Servers setup for a cluster of 6000-7000 phones. We currently have about 2000 phones running off two 7835 subscribers which are also the DHCP servers. The 7835 are old and must be replaced. We will be adding between 4000-5000 IP phones in the next 12-24 months for a total of about 6000. With softphone and mobility, that will go close to 7500 devices I project long term.

The cluster is located in the headquarters within multiple computer rooms.

What would be the recommended architecture for subscribers?

- Currently looking at having 3 x 7845 for Subs

- 2 CCM Groups to have all phones split 50-50

                CUCM Group1                   CUCM Group2

                Sub A                                    Sub B

                Sub B                                     Sub A

                Sub C                                     Sub C

What would be the recommended setup for DHCP service?

- Currently looking at having Sub C be the primary DHCP Server and have one of the other Subs as backup DHCP Server

As per Cisco Sales Support, I need two Mobility servers as well. Are other people using these? Recommendations?

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Daniel.

Daniel Martin
Chef de Groupe - Gestion du Réseau des TI
Group Leader - IT Network Management
CAE Inc.
St-Laurent, Québec Canada
H4T 1G6