[cisco-voip] Subscriber and DHCP Servers for Expansion of CUCM Cluster

Wes Sisk wsisk at cisco.com
Wed May 11 18:31:56 EDT 2011

Phone configuration files are updated as configuration changes are
made.  They are not "one and done" static files.  Thus the need to use
the TFTP server service on a CUCM node.

For remote sites there is the possibility of doing a TFTP proxy server.
A local TFTP server receives the phone request and then makes an http
request to CUCM to retrive the config file. This helps over WAN links as
HTTP is much more efficient for higher latency links.  This depends on
features invoked via the "centralized tftp" deployment model of CUCM.  I
am not aware of a product that has implemented it.  It does not appear
significantly complicated for good PERL hacker.

Phone---(TFTP)---Proxy---(HTTP)---(WAN)---CUCM TFTP server

The CUCM TFTP server also hosts an HTTP server on an ephemeral port for
config file retrieval. This was introduced via CSCsb38067. See the
Release-note in Bug Toolkit for further information.

Regards,
Wes