[cisco-voip] MRGL question

george.hendrix at l-3com.com george.hendrix at l-3com.com
Wed May 18 08:22:20 EDT 2011

Hi Mike,

  I am looking for best practice info.

BTW, the page on cisco.com I am referring to is below.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_tech_note09186a008020f198.shtml

What doesn’t make sense to me is that is my understanding you don’t need a separate MRGL at the device level.  You can simply create redundant MRG’s and just make sure the MRG you want to be the first choice at a site is the first one in the MRGL for that site.  Which is why the configuration for the MRGL states “Groups listed in order of priority”.  It doesn’t address multiple remote sites that I can see though.  Seems the best way to go would be to have it setup is to have each site have its MRG listed first in its MRGL, then for redundancy, add the hub site MRGs after that.

Site 1 MRGL would contain the following in this order:

Site1 MRG
Hub1-Router1 MRG
Hub1-Router2 MRG
Hub2-Router1 MRG
Hub2-Router2 MRG
Hub1-Sub MRG
Hub2-Sub MRG

The MRGL should not use the subscriber MRGs at the bottom until the first MRGs are exhausted, correct?

From the documentation, it has the hub site using media resources from the remote site in a redundant MRGL.  However, what if you have like 20 remote sites?  It doesn’t make sense.  For instance, if you have MRG for site 1 as the first alternate choice, and place a call to site 2, but the MRGL of the hub site is exhausted, the call will use resources from site 1, even though the call is going to site 2.  Make sense?

Thanks,

Bill