[cisco-voip] Old cisco-voip thread on VG-224 dead ports

Tim Reimers treimers at ashevillenc.gov
Fri Nov 4 19:24:57 EDT 2011

Here's a reference I found --
http://documents.exfo.com/appnotes/anote160-ang.pdf

I bet their CableSHARK ain't cheap...

Here's another reference.
http://support.avaya.com/css/P8/documents/100096307

You could buy one of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-METRO-TEL-CORP-TELEPHONE-LINE-TESTER-VOLT-METER-/190554686851?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c5df1c583
Or this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TEMPO-SIDEKICK-7B-TELEPHONE-LINE-TESTER-/260885036727?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cbdf5beb7
That's what the AT&T crews carry...

________________________________

From: Lelio Fulgenzi [mailto:lelio at uoguelph.ca]
Sent: Fri 11/4/2011 4:32 PM
To: Tim Reimers
Cc: cisco-voip at puck.nether.net
Subject: Re: [cisco-voip] Old cisco-voip thread on VG-224 dead ports

Thanks for sending this out Tim. I have been meaning to reply to it and am now just getting to it.

We're looking at replacing a few VG248s (EOL) and our legacy PBX with VG224s and some VIC3-2FXS-E/DID if required. The differences between the three devices is interesting:

Model
	DID Loop Resistance
	FXS Loop Resistance
	Loop Length

VG248
	N/A	 415 ohms (on-premise only)	 5000 feet
VG224
	N/A
	Up to 600 ohm (including the phone or terminal equipment)

3000 ft, 26 AWG

VIC3-2FXS-E/DID	 Up to 1800 ohms (including terminal equipment)

Up to 1400 ohms (including phone or terminal equipment)

Up to 11,000 feet (3.3 KM) 24 AWG Category 5 twisted pair cable

I'm guessing the loop length provided is simply an estimate, since gauge (AWG) and number of splice points affects this sort of stuff and we really should be trying to match the FXS loop resistance to ensure we're falling in spec and can call for support accordingly. I'd rather not use any extra equipment installed in between if I can avoid it.

Anyone know what tools you can use to accurately measure the loop resistance? We're basically going to go to each circuit we have and decide if it falls within the VG224 specs or not since a 2911 with 4xVIC3-2FXS-E/DID has a port cost of about 4x that of a VG224.
---
Lelio Fulgenzi, B.A.
(519) 824-4120 x56354 (519) 767-1060 FAX (ANNU)
Cooking with unix is easy. You just sed it and forget it.
                              - LFJ (with apologies to Mr. Popeil)