[cisco-voip] Music On Hold

Mike King me at mpking.com
Tue Nov 8 08:06:43 EST 2011

This advice only relates directly to the US, since that's my experience

Free?  Sadly no.  Find a local band, and offer to broadcast their music as
your hold music?  (Make sure you get it in writing, with no end date)

Paid music.  Any one of 100 websites purporting to sell it.

Things to look for.

"Royalty Free Music"  Means you don't have to pay to play it, and by pay, I
mean every time you play it, not the initial purchase price. (Hold music is
considered a performance, and as such, you need to pay the artist a
performance fee).

Here's an overview of Music licensing, as it relates to Hold Music in the
US.  http://www.easyonhold.com/KnowledgeBase/hold-music-licensing-guide.php
(Note, I've only done a cursory read of that website, and it seems correct
from a quick read.  Be aware they are a Hold Music Sales company, and may
have put a spin on it,)

I've used On-Hold Plus in the past. I think my company may use
easyonhold.com in the near future, but I'm not sure.  Our marketing
department is going to find the company, because they want to have a custom
hold message play.

Mike