[cisco-voip] Voice Gateway router size

Lelio Fulgenzi lelio at uoguelph.ca
Tue Nov 22 18:53:35 EST 2011

The key value you need here is utilization. The number of people or phones at a site isn't the best number to use since it may not reflect how much they use off-net resources. If you have access to records off the current PBX, this will give you a better idea. Once you have these numbers, you can use Erlang calculations to let you know how many PRIs (and if billed separately, how many active channels) you will need. Someone recently posted a link to a Cisco doc that summarizes things very well. It was that document that I used recently to give me a clue to our utilization.

The DSP calculator will tell you the DSP resources you need. (www.cisco.com/go/tools)

As far as the routers are concerned, you should be looking at 2900/3900s at the minimum. 2800/3800 are end of life.

Each model has it's advantages, but mainly it will be max calls, SRST capacity and expandability. Picking from one model to the next is hard because if the small incremental costs between them most of the time. Stick to what you need for the next two or three years and you should be fine. We really like to have redundant power supplies because of electrical maintenance that goes on and the fact that you can feed them from separate circuits/UPS units.

There are docs on Cisco that will compare the router units.

Sent from my iPhone