[cisco-voip] Cisco AS5400XM

Kyle Sexton ks at mocker.org
Fri Oct 7 14:59:36 EDT 2011

Mark,

Thanks for verifying my configuration.  Contacted Cisco and they came
back with different hardware than the list that I sent them:

(1) AS54-DFC-8CT1 (Octal T1/PRI DFC Card)
(1) AS5X-FC (Feature card with six PVDM DSP modules slots)
(4) AS5X-PVDM2-65 (64-Channel Packet Voice/Fax DSP modules)

I'm a little confused on the DSP differences, the list I sent to Cisco
was for two "AS5400 108 Voice/Universal Port Feature Cards" and
instead they send back a different feature card and some Voice/Fax DSP
modules.

Help with a couple more questions would be greatly appreciated.

1. Do both the "AS5400 108 Voice/Universal card" and the "Voice/Fax
DSP modules" support the PRI to SIP signaling I am wanting to do?

2. Am I losing anything by getting the Voice/Fax vs the
Voice/Universal?  What are the differences?

Thanks,
Kyle Sexton

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 5:45 PM, Mark Holloway <mh at markholloway.com> wrote:
> That is the correct hardware.  The AS5400's make great SIP gateways. I used to work for a carrier that had several deployed with channelized DS3's connected to Nortel DMS Class 5 switches and route SIP <-> PRI traffic through the AS5400's.
>
> On Oct 6, 2011, at 2:33 PM, Kyle Sexton wrote:
>
>> I'm looking at the Cisco AS5400XM to convert some incoming T1s to SIP
>> signaling.  Has anyone had any experience with these devices?  The
>> feature cards that Cisco sells can be a little confusing.  I'm
>> thinking something like below is what I need.
>>
>> (1) AS5400XM, AS5400XM Starter Kit (inc Chassis, MB, Def Mem)
>> (1) AS54-AC-RPS-PWR, AS5400 AC Redundant Power Supply
>> (1) AS54-DFC-8CT1, AS5400 OCTAL T1/PRI DFC Card
>> (2) AS54-DFC-108NP, AS5400 108 Voice/Universal Port Feature Card
>>
>> Any thoughts would be appreciated.  Thanks.
>>

>> --
>> Kyle Sexton

Kyle Sexton