[cisco-voip] Moving to SIP

Martin Weddle mweddle at cricketcommunications.com
Mon Sep 26 12:28:13 EDT 2011

I'll throw my two cents in as I'm in the process of moving to SIP. I have about 50 PRIs across the nation with an avg cost per channel of $24 and change. We are currently negotiating our SIP MSA and rates with different vendors. We are expecting to reduce our cost per channel to just under $20 and we'll be reducing the total number of channels by 40%. In terms of 911, we use an E911 provider and we use SIP to route those calls as well. With regards to G.729 codec selection. I think AT&T has simply elected to only support G.729 for simplicity. Other providers do allow G.711 but I would consider G.729 as it circuits have to be sized to carry the traffic even in a DIA situation. Like others already said, using G.729 means less transcoding. If you are going SIP DIA, acquire Cisco Cube or some other SBC solution like ACME (awesome product).

Oh yeah, AT&T has already testified to congress that they will not be selling PRIs in 5-10 years and SIP will be the only business class phone service they will be selling. I expect other providers to follow suit. You can google AT&Ts testimony in congress, I found it in a couple different .pdf presentations AT&T submitted to congress.

I can't wait to stop supporting TDM personally.