[cisco-voip] Assistance with call routing question...

Nick Matthews matthnick at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 11:40:06 EDT 2012

Using prefixes is definitely the easy way.  The hard way is using cor
lists, and matching an inbound number on calling number (answer address),
apply a cor list there, and then applying a cor list outbound.  The trouble
is cor list doesn't block anything unless both sides have a cor list, so
you would have to apply a cor list to your other incoming dial peer as
well.  Again, messy.

I'm personally not so hot on the 72 idea.  If this is just temporary
testing it might be fine, but things like this are easily forgotten, and/or
traces of it left behind.  I would rather do something like this:

User dials normaly 9+(7 or 10) digits
CSS hits a translation pattern
Translation pattern prefixes ** or something similar
**9(7 or 10 digits) is sent to gateway
**9 is stripped via translation pattern on outgoing dial peer

I prefer the * character to the # character simply because the gateway will
automatically process the # by default and it confuses people.  On
forward-digits vs literal digits in a pots dial peer vs translation pattern
I choose translation pattern.  It's a matter of the "bus factor".  If you
get hit by a bus and someone else has to reverse engineer this
configuration, a translation pattern is obviously an intentional
translation.  It helps prevent confusion and you can even name your
intent.  I like the ALLCAPS notation, plus background.  Something to the
effect of:

dial-peer voice 1 pots
translation-pattern TESTPRI-STRIP**9 incoming

Probably a lot of text and opinion for something that will only be tested
momentarily, but there are some long-term designs that use this as well.

-nick