[cisco-voip] Cisco AS5000 vs ISR3900

Pawlowski, Adam ajp26 at buffalo.edu
Thu Aug 2 10:35:55 EDT 2012

I'm looking at some products to try and replace our 6509s and CMMs, which will eventually be EoS/EoL. The notification recommends the ISR series of devices, with PVDMs and VWICs. Since our goal is to eventually operate a CUBE, and transition to SIP trunking, with potential for fallback to a couple of PRIs, this platform would appear capable. Unfortunately, it looks like it also can do "a bunch of other stuff", which would imply that it is expensive, and licensing will be involved for many of the features of the device.

The AS5350XM seems like it would do the same thing? The session count is listed at 800 sessions each for CUBE, and it's a platform license, which would mean that should we configure 3 of these at unique sites, where we have 6-8 PRIs now, that we would be able to more-than dump the entire call capacity to one of these units in case of failure, with room to spare.

It doesn't appear it does ISDN backhaul to CCM, not that it was designed to, so it would have to be configured with a SIP trunk to the UCM, is that right?

Any other comments? Would this put us on the pain train?