[cisco-voip] Using 64kbps channels on a t3 as transport

Joseph Mays mays at win.net
Fri Aug 10 13:41:52 EDT 2012

In Indiana we have...

- an AS5400 serving intermachine trunks for a telco connection to ATT.
- a 7206 with a PA-MC-8T1 card and a PA-MC-T3.

3 24 timeslot T1's on the t3 card are bonded together in a multilink PPP
that goes from the 7206 in Indiana to a similarly configured 7206 in
Kentucky. Currently the multilink PPP bundle is just a big 72 channel IP
circuit.

In Kentucky we have...
- a 7206 with a PA-MC-8T1 card and a PA-MC-T3.
- an AS5400 serving intermachine trunks for a telco connection to ATT.

The problem is that we have no voice trunks between these locations.

What we want to know is if it's possible to peel off 4 timeslots from each
t1 in the bundle on the t3 card in the 7206 and use them as transport ds0's
for 12 channels of voice transport between the 5400's. For transport between
the 5400's and the 7206's on each end can we define a PRI that uses one t1
on each AS5400 to connect to a PRI port on the PA-MC-8T1 in each 7206?