[cisco-voip] Can a CUBE be used to connect CUCM and Asterisk to a SIP Trunk

Dieter Jansen justtemprament at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 00:40:03 EST 2012

Hi All,

We are looking to replace an existing Asterisk PBX with about 40 SIP
handsets with a CUCM UC solution (BE6K) with about 50 new CP-8945s.

The current installation uses a SIP trunk and we plan to keep using this to
connect to the PSTN.  We have a 100 DID block for our incoming calls.

As we have comparatively little experience with the Cisco solution we're
looking at a soft introduction and will probably have both sets of handsets
in place in parallel for a while.

I've got all the edge switches and VLANing working - independent data,
voice and legacy voice VLANs/subnets and all required routing between.
 We're at the point where test phones can place video calls to each other
so we now need to get routing and PSTN access happening

Originally I was thinking I'd set up a CUCM-behind-Asterisk
or Asterisk behind-CUCM situation whilst testing but on reading the Cisco
documents and books I've noted the suggested use of a CUBE SBC.  As we have
a spare router that can probably do CUBE I was wondering if I should set
that up to register with our VSP.

In the first instance I'd get the Asterisk box to pass calls to the CUBE
and have the CUBE forward all incoming calls to the Asterisk.

What I'm hoping is that I could then also have the CUCM pass calls to the
same CUBE and route a subset of the inward DIDs to the CUCM whilst testing
- allowing me to get all the setup sorted whilst easily flipping incoming
calls to specific DID between Asterisk and CUCM.

I've not seen an example of the CUBE being used in this way - is it
possible?

Regards, JustTemprament.