[cisco-voip] UC on UCS - platform selection: quantity vs quality

Ryan Ratliff rratliff at cisco.com
Fri Dec 14 12:20:54 EST 2012

Inline...

-Ryan

> On Dec 14, 2012, at 11:49 AM, Lelio Fulgenzi <lelio at uoguelph.ca> wrote:
>

> I don't begin to pretend to understand the nuances of VMware or how it's virtual servers can impact other servers, however, the OVAs and the doc wiki should be updated accordingly to allow for a half decent cookie cutter approach to building out the requirements. Design and redundancy aside, if the doc wiki says that you can load as many OVAs on a server as long as you follow the rules, you should be able to do so with a reasonable amount of certainty. Otherwise, the doc wiki should be updated to include updates such as: don't use up all your cores, have a few to spare, etc.

The docwiki can only so far because the rules vary by UC application.  There is an effort underway to get everyone to play by the same rules but that's much easier said than done.   The one big rule that governs CPUs and their utilization is the "No Hardware Oversubscription".  This means you decide what apps you want to virtualize, how to size those apps, then determine how much hardware you need.  Redundancy is certainly a component in that calculation.

> Also, no where does the doc wiki talk about CPU utilization on the servers, while I wouldn't want to purposely run all my VMs at 80% CPU utilization, considering there is a 1-to-1 vCPU:pCore relationship, and there is CPU reservations, why should that matter? Again, I might be showing my naivete here, but if one server's CPU utilization can affect the other servers on the VM infrastructure, something's amiss.

CPU reservations only get you a specific amount of mHz.  The only app that actually has cpu affinity is Unity.  Without cpu affinity then the app doesn't care which core it's running on, but the reservation takes care of guaranteeing that the host has the cpu resources available to the guest (and prevents guests from starting up if their reservation requirements cannot be met).  If all your VMs get cpu reservations (or affinity) then one app misbehaving won't impact the others.  As soon as you start oversubscribing then one guest taking up all of the hosts resources most certainly will impact other guests running on the host.   VMware lets you do all kinds of cool things but just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.