[cisco-voip] E.164 Globalized Dialplan - Localizing on the egress

Ryan Schwab schwaby81 at shaw.ca
Thu Feb 2 16:55:59 EST 2012

I've been going over the design and advantages of implementing a fully
globalized (+E.164) dialplan within a Cisco UC environment. The concept and
configuration methods are clear to me and I like to sum up the concept as I
understand it by saying: "Globalize the called number as close to the source
as possible and localize at the destination."

Implementing a simple \+! Route Pattern pointing to the SLRG and using
Called Party Transformation Masks to localize(manipulate) on the PSTN
gateway(s) has obvious benefits when thinking about AAR/CFUR and TEHO.
However this gets complicated by the fact that in my area (Alberta, Canada)
the Area Codes overlap long distance calling boundaries (ie: my local area
code is 403, however not all 403 numbers are local and require to be
prefixed with a 1).

This would force configuration of an unmanageable amount of called number
translations to ensure local calls and long distance calls are formatted
properly to the PSTN. For example:
http://www.localcallingguide.com/lca_exch.php?exch=000480

Has anyone come up with solutions to this issue for true a true TEHO dial
plan in this type of scenario? My next steps are to have discussions with
the providers in the area (Telus, Bell) to see if their side can be set up
to deal with this. Ie: Accept all 10 digit numbers in the 403 area code and
complete the call even if it is a long distance rate.

Any comments are welcome.

Thanks,

Ryan