[cisco-voip] OT -- Cisco or CXTec Gbics ??

Tim Reimers treimers at ashevillenc.gov
Mon Feb 13 12:03:47 EST 2012

This is the link I'd found which describes that possibility -

What I don't know is whether CXTec is different from other "Oriental"
(ahem) providers in that regard....

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps4999/products_tech_note
09186a00807a30d6.shtml#model2

Use Third Party SFP Modules

The use of third party SFP transceivers with Cisco devices is not
supported by Cisco. Cisco-approved SFP modules have a serial EEPROM that
contains the module serial number, the vendor name and ID, a unique
security code, and cyclic redundancy check (CRC). When an SFP module is
inserted in the switch, the switch software reads the EEPROM to verify
the serial number, vendor name and vendor ID, and recomputes the
security code and CRC. If the serial number, the vendor name or vendor
ID, the security code, or CRC is invalid, the software generates this
security error message and places the interface in an error-disabled
state:

SYS-3-TRANSCEIVER_NOTAPPROVED:Transceiver on port [dec]/[dec] is not
supported