[cisco-voip] 7825-I4 RAID and HDD strange behaviour or not !!!

Sinisa Djokic sdjokic at mds.rs
Tue Feb 14 13:39:47 EST 2012

hi wes..

thanx on your support..

if we're hitting this bug, then i'm pleased that i've passed sanity check
regarding RAID1 expected behavior - :-)..although i would like to bu sure
we're hitting this so i can explain it to the customer  and to be sure
that's the core issue..

but i'm a little bit confused about two things and it would be great if you
can clarify..

W.S. Net result is any missing drive causes "unsupported platform". Let your
Cisco account team know this is a problem. Get your TAC case attached to
this to provide more evidence of customer impact.  This is all a software
limitation that could be overcome with sufficient motivation.

S.DJ. do i understand you correctly?..you mean, that we should inform our
cisco account so they could push it and ask for enhancement which could be
linked to bug CSCtd86222 severity 6 - enhancement..

we're going to do that, although i'm not sure how can we describe
non-functional RAID just as an enhacement..it looks much more severe to
me..since customer who bought servers with more then one HDDs ( all other
then 7816 ) don't have redundancy..in our case we have a failed publisher
beacuse of one failed HDD..

so, in this case i suppose motivation is drive from number of enhancement
requests - :-)..

W.S. Otherwise, the 7825 hardware uses a rather poor implementation of RAID
IMHO.  Technically it is mirrored but we just do not see the same level of
reliability in that platform.  You are still facing a hardware failure and
we must look to IBM to resolve that

S.DJ. what do you mean by that that we're still facing HW failure?..since
we're having new server, with new HDDs, and the system is fully operational
until we pull out any of HDDs ( while server is shit down )..RAID is in
operational state, everything looks fine, until one HDD is pulled out..if
the left one is pulled out ( primary one ) we don't even have bootable
device and if right one is pulled out we have unsupported hardware issue..if
you think we still have HW issue what should we tell TAC and IBM..it's new
hardware and it's behaving exactly the same as the old one..then it should
issue on all the servers..

so, the bottom line is, do you think we should just ask our cisco account to
push it our we should push IBM or TAC for any further troubleshooting?..

thanx..

regards..

Sinisa Djokic

System Engineer
CCIE #25996 Voice

MDS Informaticki inzenjering
Milutina Milankovica 7d
11070 Novi Beograd, Serbia
Tel:  +381 11 2015 200  +381 11 2015 200 , 2015 273
Fax: +381 11 3194 954
www.mds.rs
sdjokic at mds.rs

This e-mail message and any attachment are intended exclusively for the
named addressee. They may contain confidential information which may also be
protected by professional secrecy. Unless you are the named addressee (or
authorised to receive for the addressee) you may not copy or use this
message or any attachment or disclose the contents to anyone else. If this
e-mail was sent to you by mistake please notify the sender immediately and
delete this e-mail.

P Save a tree. Don't print this e-mail unless it's really necessary.