[cisco-voip] 7825-I4 RAID and HDD strange behaviour or not !!!

Ryan Ratliff rratliff at cisco.com
Tue Feb 14 13:45:26 EST 2012

Given that info I'd highly recommend you work through TAC to get this info in front of IBM and see what they have to say.

-Ryan

On Feb 14, 2012, at 1:39 PM, Sinisa Djokic wrote:

hy ryan..
thanx on your support..

R.R.At this point I'd guess that even 3B06 is old.  Make sure your drives are on the latest firmware, and make sure your array is up and completely stable before applying the update. If it's degraded when you try to patch it can miss one of the drives and leave it on old firmware.  If you hit CSCti52867 then you absolutely have to run the diskex...cop.sgn file (when the array is optimal) and really should rebuild the server.  Just upgrading the firmware is not sufficient to fix or prevent future outages once the drives have started failing due to this bug.

S.DJ.  the RAID was optimal before any action and after install of new CUCM 7.1.5 on new server ( from RMA ) .. we did run disk excerciser..after that we upgraded the firmware to 3B06 ( according to CSCti52867 instructions )..after the firmware upgrade, RAID was in resynch state for several hours ( as expected )..so, at the time of testing and pulling one of the HDDs out, system was fully operational with synched RAID.. regarding 3B06, i think there is 3B07 out there ( if i’m not mistaking ) but i wasn’t aware that we should upgrade to it just like that..

R.R.If the BIOS doesn't detect the drive you've got a hardware issue either with the array or the disk, period.  If the BIOS detects the drive but no OS is found then the drive most likely didn't get fully sync'd from a previous degraded state.

S.DJ.  as said, RAID utility reported RAID degraded ( as expected since HDD was pulled out )..drive was fully synched according to CLI “ show hardware “ output while the server was up&running 8 before shutting it down )..

R.R.I wouldn't place bets on that just yet.

S.DJ. i cannot imagine having 4 failed drives in two different servers when all IBM and cisco diagnostic tools shows them fully operational..of course everything is possible..

as said, it’s symptomatic that we have identical behavior on both servers ( so i can exclude HW failure except serial problem )..the original one and the new one..

regards..

Sinisa Djokic
System Engineer
CCIE #25996 Voice

<image002.png>

MDS Informaticki inzenjering
Milutina Milankovica 7d
11070 Novi Beograd, Serbia
Tel:  +381 11 2015 200  +381 11 2015 200 , 2015 273
Fax: +381 11 3194 954
www.mds.rs
sdjokic at mds.rs
This e-mail message and any attachment are intended exclusively for the named addressee. They may contain confidential information which may also be protected by professional secrecy. Unless you are the named addressee (or authorised to receive for the addressee) you may not copy or use this message or any attachment or disclose the contents to anyone else. If this e-mail was sent to you by mistake please notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail.
P Save a tree. Don’t print this e-mail unless it’s really necessary.