[cisco-voip] Verify which device and firmware have sccp v 20 support

Erik Goppel egoppel at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 15:39:46 EST 2012

Wes,

thanks for the feedback, but unfortunately it does not help me that much.
The reason why i am asking is, i am currently working on a design, that
requires the usage of a sip trunk with early-offer support.
My end-customer does not want to use a CUBE (against my advice, but ok), so
i needed to check some items regarding the earl-offer requirements. (as the
sip provider offers sip trunks with early offer)
As per Cisco documentation, it states that there is no MTP requirement for
an early-offer sip trunk, when the call is initiated from the following
devices:
Cisco Unified Communications Manager supports early offer (without
requiring MTP) when the call gets initiated from one of the following
devices:

•SIP phones
•SCCP phones with SCCP v20 support (which provides media port information
through the getPort capability)
•MGCP gateways
•Incoming H323 fast start calls
•Incoming early offer SIP trunk calls

Now to ensure my customer is using SCCP phones with SCCP version 20, i need
to know which endpoints are capable of handling SCCP version 20.
Also, i need to know in which firmware version this is enabled, so the
deployment will be rolled-out with the correct version.
If i do need to make use of the MTP`s (as far as i have researched, the
need to be HW based MTP`s with IOS 15.1.(2)T) , my business case for the
requirement of the CUBE suddenly becomes a lot better.
The problem is right now, that i in the middle of a discussion between
Service Provider and Customer, whereas the SP is trying to convince the
customer that they don`t need the CUBE, as their service offering is based
upon interop testing with CUCM 8.5(1) with early-offer, and (according to
the SP) a CUBE is not required.
Besides all the other benefits of using a CUBE, the case is hanging on the
support for early-offer of endpoints right now.
So i need this information to provide a more clear picture, regarding the
"other" consequences of not using a CUBE to interface with the Service
Provider.
I have got 3 other projects lined up, where this same SP is their preffered
partner for PSTN access, and i want to prevent having these same
discussions again and again.

Maybe i have clarified, the situation a bit more, and maybe you can use
this internally, as seeing the Cisco documentation (New and Changed for
Cisco Unified Communications Manager 8.5(1) ) ->
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/rel_notes/8_5_1/delta/delta.html#wp1849900is
referencing SCCP version 20, but it is impossible to verify if the
devices are actually supported.

Hope you can help me, you can unicast me if desired or required.

Erik Goppel
Technical Consultant Unified Communications
Dimension Data Netherlands.