[cisco-voip] Bridge upgrade vs. sub(s)

Beck, Andre cisco-voip at ibh.net
Wed Feb 29 11:07:11 EST 2012

Re Mike,

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 08:57:44AM -0500, Mike  wrote:
> This may not be practical, but have you considered a swing server? We have
> done this in the past. You take an IBM/HP equivalent (7816-I4) load existing
> version on that and restore from production. Then upgrade that to 8.6 and
> backup. Then load 8.6 on your new DL380s and restore.

I haven't considered that as there is no identical server available, at
least not easily. But you said something very interesting: Take any MCS-
equivalent server that supports running both versions. If that really
is sufficient (I don't think I need working licenses just to perform
the DRS backup, and even if, the MAC could be - ahem - tinkered with
in the isolated network), that would ease things considerably.

> This leaves your production environment untouched and now you have a
> complete copy running 8.6. Just swap the Ethernet cables and reset the
> phones and you are set.

I'll see if any supported server is available. There's quite a chance
of that, and as you said, it would make the transition even less risky
(human error during the initial steps in my procedure could still wipe
the original pub blank).

Thanks,
Andre.
--
                    Cool .signatures are so 90s...

-> Andre Beck    +++ ABP-RIPE +++      IBH IT-Service GmbH, Dresden <-