[cisco-voip] oddball hsrp/phone issue

Ed Leatherman ealeatherman at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 16:11:30 EDT 2012

Anyone ever run into something like this?

We have a cat4500 doing some routing and was in HSRP group with another
switch temporarily. temporary situation is over, and other switch is
removed, and we went to remove the HSRP config today from all the SVIs.. so
for example

interface Vlan2
 ip address 10.x.x.130 255.255.255.192
 ip access-group ip-phones-in in
 ip access-group ip-phones-out out
 no ip redirects
 standby 2 ip 10.x.x.129
 standby 2 timers 1 2
 standby 2 priority 90
 standby 2 preempt

was to become

interface Vlan2
 ip address 10.x.x.129 255.255.255.192
 ip access-group ip-phones-in in
 ip access-group ip-phones-out out
 no ip redirects

When we did this for the printer vlan, PC vlans, etc, no problems. When we
did this for the voice vlan, phones quit communicating and we couldn't ping
them from the router. My thought was they were still using the virtual mac
from hsrp and were not updating their arp tables. As soon as we put the
HSRP config back on, they started working again. Left it with HSRP enabled
for now but may try again and reboot phones as part of the procedure next
time I get the OK for some more maintenance work.

Gratuitous ARP is disabled for these phones, would that possibly cause this
issue? I tried to duplicate the situation in my lab with some phones on
CME, but disabling hsrp worked fine on those regardless of if garp disabled
or not.

Phones 7962's, firmware 9-3-1 with a few static set to 9-2-3 for now. CM 7.1

--
Ed Leatherman