[cisco-voip] oddball hsrp/phone issue

Ed Leatherman ealeatherman at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 16:44:07 EDT 2012

Am able to duplicate the issue now in the lab - rough outline:
- Configure voice vlan w/hsrp
- phones register, work
- start packet cap
- remove hsrp:
int vlan 2
no standby 2 ip 10.x.y.129
no standby 2 preempt
no standby 2 timers 1 2
no standby 2 priority 90
ip address 10.x.y.129 255.255.255.192

- immediately after this, I observed the router send an HSRP resign message
- next the 4500 svi sent an ARP to each phone on the vlan using its correct
ip/mac
- Each phone replied to the correct IP/mac for the svi
- 4500 send a few broadcast arps for good measure
- short time later when sccp timed out, phones continued to try to send
frames to the HSRP virtual mac to get off-net
- pinging a phone from the router svi did not help
- rebooting a phone manually obviously fixed the problem
- eventually the phone will get bored and arp again for the default gateway
and this time start using it and re-register. This took approx 9min 15s
both times I did this.

I'm going to remove the SRST function off the phones and see if this
improves or changes their behavior at all.

Phones are on 9-3-1, 4506 is on 15.1(1)SG

--
Ed Leatherman